Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Do Your Best and Forget The Rest

I've always found mantras to be...cheesy. I think that's why I never had much high school spirit. As a rebellious teen, I valued the individual over the collective. I was weary of becoming just another sheep in the herd; who knows where I'd be led? Besides, I couldn't bring myself to chant "Go Norsemen" without laughing. I used to feel the same way about chanting in yoga class. Is it that different from the mindless mass droning of a Catholic ceremony just cause I'm sitting on the floor in a pretzel? And what's going on while my eyes are closed?

For me, it's obviously a trust issue. I can't just go along with something I don't believe in. Finally, I've found a mantra I can get behind, without feeling too dorky; "Do Your Best and Forget The Rest." P90X creator, Tony Horton, uses this catchphrase to pump up his students. Do I like that it's catchy? Sure. Do I like that it rhymes? Of course, I do! But what's really important is it's simplicity. The message is about balance. Do your best, give it your all, but don't overdo it, or push yourself so hard that you hurt yourself. On the other hand, if you lose your balance, get tired, or need to catch your breathe, take a break but MOVE ON. Don't get hung up on what you did or didn't do. And that's exactly what I focused on during today's workout.

The bane of my existence is currently Plyometrics. For those of you who aren't professional athletes or P90X grads, Plyometrics is hell in my living room. Almost an hour of squatting, lunging, jumping, leaping, squatting while jumping, jumping while lunging, and other combinations of hip, thigh, and calf torture that prepare you for movements necessary for involvements in sports. Imaginary jump shots, tires, jumping Pete Townshends, jumping jacks in squat positions...ugh. After last week's Plyo workout, it was at least three days before I could sit down or stand up without wincing.

Needless to say, I was not looking forward to today's workout. But the goal I set for myself for this week was to complete all six workouts no matter what and I wasn't gonna let myself off the hook. (Neither was my boyfriend/workout partner!) I put it off, found other things that HAD to get done first, and laid in bed longer than usual this morning. I said it was the "rare occurrence of rain in LA" but I'm from Michigan. I know what rain is like and it actually makes me feel more grounded. Finally, it was 7:30 pm and I knew that if I didn't workout very soon, I'd start to wind down and either have a crappy workout or worse, skip it altogether. That was not an option.

As soon as my dinner had digested, I stood up, took a deep breath, reached my hands up to the sky, stretched, and changed into my workout clothes. Listen up, friends, changing into my workout clothes, even when I don't feel like working out, is the surest way I've found to follow through. It may seem silly but there's a reason why police officers, bellhops, even us lowly waitstaff have uniforms; it puts you in the mood. I feel much different in a sports bra then I do in a big, comfy sweatshirt. When I lace up my shoes and walk on the cushy padding, I start to feel springy and ready for anything, rather than barefoot and relaxed. It also makes me accountable. There's nothing more disappointing than skipping your workout and taking off sweat-free exercise gear.

Next, I drank a quart of water. My biggest problem has been dehydration. It's worse in LA where the air is very dry, but especially in the Valley, where I live. When I was studying vocal music in college, I was required to have a water bottle with me at all times to keep my throat and vocal chords clear. When I started Round 1 of P90X, the first thing I did was buy this big, pink water bottle so I could carry it everywhere. I still don't drink as much as I should, but I drink at least one full bottle before workouts, then refill it to sip on during the workouts. When I'm not properly hydrated, it's harder to breathe and I get headaches within the first 15 minutes. Today, I did it right and it made all the difference.

The real key for my second Plyometrics workout was that simple little mantra. I started the workout anxious, nervous that I'd end up in pain like the last time. My boyfriend reminded me that giving in to my dark side would only counteract my goal to move forward. I grimaced less but continued my trepidatious warmup. I tried to clear my mind and focus on the movement. Then, Tony Horton repeated that oh-so-famous saying and something just clicked. Of course I'll do my best but that doesn't mean I have to kill myself. I'll jump as high as I can to break a sweat. I'll squat as low as I can to "feel the burn" and when it burns too much, I'll take a break. I'll just do my best, and forget the rest. That's exactly what I did. I left last week's torturous workout behind me and focused on my form, breath, and hydration.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well I did! Leaps and bounds above my first Plyo attempt. I was present, working hard, and letting it all roll off my back...literally. It was one of the sweatiest workouts I've had so far and totally worth it. I was so glad I tackled my Plyo fear and I even envisioned a day, weeks from now, when I would be mistress of all things Plyometric. And I smiled a sweaty smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Briana

My photo
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, Briana began writing at an early age. She studied Creative Writing and Journalism throughout grammar school, writing an advice column and serving as a Copy Editor for her school newspaper. Briana attended Western Michigan University's Musical Theatre Performance program before heading to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Writing music with the Chad Parson Band inspired her to focus her energy on other forms of writing she had left behind; poetry, short stories, and eventually short film. She was privileged to study Poetry Writing with poet and novelist Laurie Wagner Buyer and was honored to receive an internship with E. Jean Carroll, the longtime advice columnist for Elle Magazine. In 2006, Briana co-founded Bigger Baby Productions, a small internet-based company focused mainly on short comedic film. On January 1st of 2008, she made the cross-country move from NYC to LA to pursue a career in film and television. Briana currently resides in Santa Monica with her dog, Howie, and recently finished her first marathon!