Sunday, August 22, 2010

Runner's High

I have to face the reality that my life may never be perfectly balanced. The long term solution is to work smarter and try harder. In the meantime, I'm replacing my "bad habits" with positive ones, starting with running. As I've mentioned in other posts, I used to think of running as really fun...for about 12 seconds, but tedious for 30 minutes. Just thinking about running for any other extended period of time was excruciating.

In the last few years, as I began living a more active lifestyle, running started to grow on me. It was still difficult, but I appreciated that it was worth the work. After a while, I didn't mind jumping on the treadmill. I enjoyed the synchronization of my breath and my feet. If I had the right music, I could really get into a rhythm, and then there was no stopping me. A few days ago, I found that groove again on the treadmill and something new happened; I smiled.

I don't know what came over me. I don't even remember what songs were playing. It was a very strange feeling. Every part of my body was working together, moving forward, like a well-oiled machine. It was as though I was meant to run. I was made to be a runner. I wasn't dripping with sweat, I was absolutely covered in it! I know how dirty that sounds but it was more like swimming than running. It was refreshing. I felt like I could run forever. Unfortunately, I had done the P90X Cardio workout right before and I didn't want to overdo it and injure myself. For the first time in my life, I was disappointed to stop running instead of relieved.

There have been plenty of days when I dreaded going to the gym. I've certainly had my share of days when there was no way I was gonna get on that moving torture device known as The Treadmill. I never thought I'd see the day I longed to go running. Today was that day. It was supposed to be my rest day but I couldn't help myself. I had to chase down that runner's high I had experienced a few days before. I wanted to feel that feeling. I only went 2.5 miles, and I'm not yet running at the marathon pace I dream of, but I'm off to a great start. And I have finally found a place where I feel perfectly balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Briana

My photo
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, Briana began writing at an early age. She studied Creative Writing and Journalism throughout grammar school, writing an advice column and serving as a Copy Editor for her school newspaper. Briana attended Western Michigan University's Musical Theatre Performance program before heading to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Writing music with the Chad Parson Band inspired her to focus her energy on other forms of writing she had left behind; poetry, short stories, and eventually short film. She was privileged to study Poetry Writing with poet and novelist Laurie Wagner Buyer and was honored to receive an internship with E. Jean Carroll, the longtime advice columnist for Elle Magazine. In 2006, Briana co-founded Bigger Baby Productions, a small internet-based company focused mainly on short comedic film. On January 1st of 2008, she made the cross-country move from NYC to LA to pursue a career in film and television. Briana currently resides in Santa Monica with her dog, Howie, and recently finished her first marathon!