Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bend Before I Break

I literally rolled out of bed today, for fear that putting too much pressure on any one body part would result in not only great pain, but more embarrassingly, me groaning like an old lady. Today on the P90X schedule is Shoulders & Arms, followed by Ab Ripper. As soon as I stood up, I knew that wasn't going to happen. The days of skipping workouts are behind me but I don't want to overdo it so I opted for the Stretch program. It's a thorough hour long program and the key to maintaining progress.

When I was younger, I prided myself on my flexibility. I used to practice my center splits every night while watching television. I'd spread my legs, put my elbows in front of me on the floor, and rest my chin in my hands. I knew that every day that I didn't stretch, I would lose flexibility. I worked on it as often as any of my studies. Looking back, I realize now that I never had any substantial injuries until I stopped stretching every day. When I went to college, there were too many "distractions." After one year without daily stretching, apart from the stretching I did in dance classes, I injured both my knees.

To this day, I have knee pain whenever I jog or run outdoors, or if I stand up for too many hours at a time. I must add daily stretching to my routine now, not only to maintain the progress I make during P90X, but to ward off future injury as I get older and my body continues to break down. So I didn't do today's workout, but I gave myself an "A" for effort for stretching instead of giving up. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to bend before it breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Briana

My photo
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, Briana began writing at an early age. She studied Creative Writing and Journalism throughout grammar school, writing an advice column and serving as a Copy Editor for her school newspaper. Briana attended Western Michigan University's Musical Theatre Performance program before heading to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Writing music with the Chad Parson Band inspired her to focus her energy on other forms of writing she had left behind; poetry, short stories, and eventually short film. She was privileged to study Poetry Writing with poet and novelist Laurie Wagner Buyer and was honored to receive an internship with E. Jean Carroll, the longtime advice columnist for Elle Magazine. In 2006, Briana co-founded Bigger Baby Productions, a small internet-based company focused mainly on short comedic film. On January 1st of 2008, she made the cross-country move from NYC to LA to pursue a career in film and television. Briana currently resides in Santa Monica with her dog, Howie, and recently finished her first marathon!