Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gonna Make You Sweat 'Til Ya Bleed

Cardio. Ugh. I always think it's gonna be easy and then I end up exhausted, red-faced, and sweaty. Although, to be honest, I like to sweat. No, actually, I love to sweat! I have ever since I was a young dancer. I wasn't satisfied with a dance class unless I left dripping with sweat. I thought it was a clear sign that I had done the best work I could, leaving it all on the dance floor, as Debbie Allen would say. I had forgotten until just now how much I love to sweat.

Ladies aren't supposed to sweat. They might "glow" or "glisten" but sweating was supposed to happen to big, hairy men who had just chopped down a tree or unclogged a drain. It's just not proper for a lady to sweat. Which probably made me want to sweat even more, to defy convention. During this round of P90X, I'm making it my goal to leave it all on the mat during every workout. I won't feel satisfied unless I'm wiping the sweat from my eyes, so it doesn't go into my contacts; it can really sting, ya know.

That's what I did today. I felt weak and heavy (oh, so heavy) but I kept on pushing until I couldn't anymore. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be real sweaty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Briana

My photo
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, Briana began writing at an early age. She studied Creative Writing and Journalism throughout grammar school, writing an advice column and serving as a Copy Editor for her school newspaper. Briana attended Western Michigan University's Musical Theatre Performance program before heading to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Writing music with the Chad Parson Band inspired her to focus her energy on other forms of writing she had left behind; poetry, short stories, and eventually short film. She was privileged to study Poetry Writing with poet and novelist Laurie Wagner Buyer and was honored to receive an internship with E. Jean Carroll, the longtime advice columnist for Elle Magazine. In 2006, Briana co-founded Bigger Baby Productions, a small internet-based company focused mainly on short comedic film. On January 1st of 2008, she made the cross-country move from NYC to LA to pursue a career in film and television. Briana currently resides in Santa Monica with her dog, Howie, and recently finished her first marathon!