Monday, March 15, 2010

I Can't Do It Alone

I need Tony Horton. I'm realistic enough to know that I don't have enough self-discipline to workout on my own. I need a program, guidance, rules, goals, and someone to push me along in a positive way (even if that someone is on my computer instead of in my living room). I decided the best way to get back on track is by making myself accountable. So I'm doing P90X Lean again and blogging after every workout. My entries may not be exciting but they'll be real and honest.

I thought Week 1 started with Cardio, which is the shortest workout and the easiest way to ease back into a routine. I was wrong. The first day is Core Synergistics and it is a bitch. I was three minutes into the warmup when my thighs became sore, an instant reminder of what was in store for me during my first day of P90X. I breathed deep and forged ahead, knowing that I would feel much better emotionally and mentally if I just got through it and gave it my best. The short term physical discomfort is nothing compared to how depressed I might feel if I gave up. It was tough but I did what I could and made it through.

Afterwards, I thought back to last May, almost a year ago, and the first round of P90X. I remembered how exhausted and almost nauseous I was during that very first Core workout. I didn't feel anything like that this time. When I stepped on the scale this morning, the digital blue numbers loomed, mocking me. 136 lbs. I had gained back almost all the weight I worked so hard to lose last year. On the other hand, I still had the ability to fight through the discomfort and have a good workout, so something must have stuck with me from that first round of P90X. Muscle memory of some kind, perhaps. It took me 90 days to lose 8 lbs the first time around, starting from scratch. This time, I'm going to build on the base I have and go farther, work harder, and get leaner.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Briana

My photo
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, Briana began writing at an early age. She studied Creative Writing and Journalism throughout grammar school, writing an advice column and serving as a Copy Editor for her school newspaper. Briana attended Western Michigan University's Musical Theatre Performance program before heading to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Writing music with the Chad Parson Band inspired her to focus her energy on other forms of writing she had left behind; poetry, short stories, and eventually short film. She was privileged to study Poetry Writing with poet and novelist Laurie Wagner Buyer and was honored to receive an internship with E. Jean Carroll, the longtime advice columnist for Elle Magazine. In 2006, Briana co-founded Bigger Baby Productions, a small internet-based company focused mainly on short comedic film. On January 1st of 2008, she made the cross-country move from NYC to LA to pursue a career in film and television. Briana currently resides in Santa Monica with her dog, Howie, and recently finished her first marathon!